Lately I have been feeling a little misunderstood when I tell people we gave birth at a birth center without drugs. Perhaps a reason for this is that I haven't explained the reason for our choice to many people out of fear it may be interpreted as judging others who have chosen a different route. Fear is a funny thing - and when I think about it, I know it has way more power over me and my actions than it should. I forget so often that "God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7 In an effort to overcome my fear as well as create more awareness for the choices out there, here are some of the reasons Ethan was born at Morning Star Birth Center.
Early on in the pregnancy, we watched The Business of Being Born documentary. (Don't let the fact that Ricki Lake is the producer taint your opinion before you watch it.) This caused us to look at hospitals in a different light. Both of us had previously just assumed hospital births were the only way to go unless you were a super hippi and we didn't question the basis on which doctors make their decisions. Turns out there are more business reasons that factor in to how and why doctors make decisions surrounding birth than we thought. Because of this, the labor process is sped up, drugs are used more often than they need to be and C-sections are performed more often than necessary. Pitocin, epidurals and C-sections come with risks and also change the process that God perfectly designed our bodies to go through. After visiting both the hospital and the birth center, we decided we would be more confident that the guidance from the midwives would be based on what is best for mother and baby than we would with the doctors.
We couldn't be happier with our decision. I won't lie, there is a sense of pride that comes with being able to deliver your child naturally. But it is more about the peace of mind we have knowing we researched our options and made decisions surrounding the birth that we thought would be the most beneficial for me and Ethan. After this experience, I think Brandon and I will continue to question the 'normal' way things are done in mainstream America (healthcare and other parts of life) and make sure we are educated before we jump on the bandwagon. I can tell you already that this is exhausting and a bit stressful for me. Sometimes I would like to reclaim my ignorance and be 100% behind what the 'experts' say so they can just make decisions for me.
Example: I had a consultation with a surgeon this morning about whether to repair a hernia I have in my belly button. He recommended that I do have surgery because there is the potential for it to get worse. I asked him if he felt like he had to recommend the surgery for liability purposes on the chance that it does get worse and I come back and say Dr. X told me I didn't need it. He said "yes". So now I don't feel like I know his real recommendation based on what is best for me and my belly button.
Disclaimer: I hope doctors reading this or people that trust doctors don't take this personally. I totally get why they do what they do. I am always concerned about risk in my career as an auditor in the past and now a finance director. I am very thankful for medicine, hospitals and doctors. I might not be alive today without them. I was also comforted to know that Methodist Hospital was across the street from the birth center in case Ethan did need some help coming out. I wouldn't have wanted him to get stuck inside...he has already brought so much joy to this world!
No comments:
Post a Comment