Sunday, December 19, 2010

What now?

Out of all the websites on babies that I have checked out, I still feel like I have no idea what we are supposed to be doing right now. I guess the first thing on my agenda is to make a doctor's appointment - but I can't decide what doctor. I really wish I could tell friends and ask them for recommendations but we are not quite ready to get the world all excited yet. My friend Abbe once recommended I watch "The Business of Being Born" which challenges the American hospital birthing experience as maybe not the best way to go. We watched it on Friday and it is pretty interesting, it follows a few home births with midwives (a little too graphic for Brandon at some points). It opened up that possibility of using a midwife to us. So since I kind of want to decide which way to go before I make my first appointment, we set up tours at Methodist Hospital and Morning Star Birthing Center. I think I might be jumping the gun because I was the only one not showing at the tour of Methodist and most of the ladies looked like they could pop any day. We pretty much knew everything we saw on the tour just from visiting our friends Ben, Jennie and Jacob earlier this year. But one interesting fact is that their C-section rate is somewhere around 20% which is very high compared to the population that uses midwives, but low compared to the stats that the documentary shared for average rates at hospitals. The Morning Star Birthing Center should be interesting on Monday...I am just a little nervous about timing. I fear that Brandon's perception of the center will be contingent on whether he makes it home for the start of the Vikings game after the tour.

I think I am somewhere around seven weeks and have been feeling pretty good. I have noticed that my chest is a little sensitive, my emotions may be a little on edge (I came home crying from work on Thursday because I was afraid of being a bad mom since I am kind of a work-a-holic and don't know how to just put my work down and go home regardless of whether I finished what I needed to) and I am breathing a little more heavily. That however could be due to the lack of exercise I have been getting. It is so cold that I don't want to do anything outside and I really just have a hard time finding motivation to do anything inside. Case in point, I am currently writing this with my feet up on a pilates ball. I had intended to exercise but I am really good at finding other things to do that seem more important. I did help shovel a little last weekend when we got our 17 inches of snow...does that count?


Well, bad news is, it is not even winter yet technically...I need to find some motivation somewhere if I am going to stay healthy and sane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment