I have been thinking more about maternity leave policies lately for a couple reasons. First, my company doesn't have one as no women have had babies while employed by Urban Homeworks before. They are currently developing one. And second, I am realizing how significant the policy will affect my family as the due date draws near.
Generally, I find myself to be very frustrated. But I don't know where to direct the frustration...
At the government? For not enforcing more lengthy leaves and paid leaves for mothers like most of the world? One report I read said that of 168 countries studied, 163 guarantee paid leave to women in connection with childbirth, and 45 guarantee paid paternity or parental leave. The US does not.
At employers? For keeping their own profitability or operational goals in mind more so than the health of their employees and their families? For not going too far above and beyond what the government requires by law?
At myself? For not making the sacrifice to be a stay at home mom? The sacrifices being a) the comfortable lifestyle Brandon and I live being a dual income household and b) the self worth I find in working. Or for allowing work to continue to rule my life and dictate when it is best for me to return to work?
When I first started thinking about this 8 months ago, 8 weeks off sounded awesome! I don't think I have had an 8 week vacation since I was in 10th grade! But as I become more educated and get in touch with reality, this is not really a vacation. It is time off from work to get started at my second full time job. It is time to provide vital care for a newborn that needs so much love and attention to ensure a great start in this world.
What is the perfect maternity leave policy? I have no idea. How do I positively redirect this energy that is currently taking the form of frustration, bitterness and tears? I am open for suggestions. A start would be spending more time with God than I have been. Where else am I going to find more wisdom and a better example of humility and love?
Thanks for reading the thoughts of an 8 1/2 month pregnant, emotional, future mother.
(Though it may not sound like it in this post...Brandon and I are super excited about meeting our baby! We are exercising as much patience as possible.)
No comments:
Post a Comment